UN Command resumes tours of Inter-Korean border village

0

SEOUL: The United Nations Command (UNC) led by the United States plans to resume a touring program in the inter-Korean border village of Panmunjom later this month after a hiatus due to the Covid-19 pandemic, its report said on Thursday. responsible.

The UNC will restart on November 30 the program of the common security zone in Panmunjom in the demilitarized zone (DMZ) separating the two Koreas, in accordance with the South Korean program “living with Covid-19” for a gradual return to normal life , Yonhap News The agency cited officials.

The UNC coordinated the date of the resumption of the tour with the Seoul Unification Ministry.

The purpose of the UNC Commander’s DMZ Education and Orientation Program is to raise awareness of the security situation on the Korean Peninsula and to educate visitors on the terms of the armistice underlying the peace and stability, ”the command said in a statement.

Non-essential visits to the region are mostly limited since December 18, 2022.

Visits resumed temporarily in April, but were suspended again in July when South Korea enforced the highest level of social distancing rules in the greater Seoul area.

As of this month, South Korea has implemented the “living with Covid-19” program, which involves relaxed distancing rules.

The program came as the country’s immunization program accelerated. More than 78% of South Koreans had been fully immunized by Wednesday.

“The UNC will continue to monitor the conditions of Covid-19 in South Korea to ensure that all necessary mitigation measures are in place to safeguard the health and safety of all visitors to Panmunjom,” said the commandment.

The UNC supervises the activities in the DMZ.

He was an enforcer of the armistice agreement that ended the Korean War of 1950-53.

Share.

Comments are closed.